Schlafly Art Outside Festival
Like beer, art brings people together. That’s why we established Schlafly’s Art Outside Festival back in 2004. Hosted at the Bottleworks location in Maplewood, we aim to raise awareness and appreciation of art and music created in our very own community.
Each year, we feature over 60 artists you’ve never heard of and deliver a family-friendly experience you won’t find anywhere else. Featuring artists who specialize in photography, woodwork, mixed media, jewelry and so much more - get to know art without pretense.
Schlafly Bottleworks - Maplewood
Art Outside is held this Memorial Day Weekend. See below for 2022 dates and times!
Friday, May 27, 2022: 4pm-10pm
Saturday, May 28, 2022: 11am-10pm
Sunday, May 29, 2022: 11am-4pm
Nope! Art Outside is a free and family friendly event. Simply purchase whatever beer, food and art you'd like.
Art Outside will be cashless at all Schlafly bars and food tents, and only credit cards will be accepted. Please check with Artists individually to see what form of payment they accept.
|A Year in the City||Digital|
|AK Stained Glass||Glass|
|Allison Norfleet Bruenger||Jewelry|
|Andrew Rola Art||Painting|
|Annette Cummins Art||Painting|
|Annie Rye & Sam Overturf||Fiber/Textile|
|Art By Tai||Drawing/Pastels|
|Ascendant Jewelry Studio||Jewelry|
|Bill McKenney - Bills Retro Robots||Mixed Media|
|Bill Schnur||Mixed Media|
|Crow Augury||Mixed Media|
|dancing moon fine art||Digital|
|David Hasty Photography||Photography|
|Deborah Byck Weinstein - Smiling Rooster Studio||Ceramics|
|Erin Alice Art||Painting|
|Fine Art by Fred Schollmeyer||Painting|
|Golden Gems||Mixed Media|
|Hammel Horizons Photography||Photography|
|Jay Kay Create Art + Design||Digital|
|JB Design & Illustration||Drawing/Pastels|
|Jen Guss||Mixed Media|
|Jim Mosley Illustrations||Drawing/Pastels|
|Jimmy Liu Studio||Ceramics|
|JK Furniture Designs||Wood|
|Joel Epstein||Mixed Media|
|Kalika Rose Art||Painting|
|Kim Wilson Art||Ceramics|
|Lisa Crisman Art||Drawing/Pastels & Mixed Media|
|Mississippi Mud Pottery||Ceramics|
|Paper Loft Creations||Mixed Media|
|Paul Trinklein & Jon Bernhardt||Mixed Media|
|Sherbet Punch Studios||Printmaking|
|Thompson Dry Goods||Fiber/Textile|
|Tony Scheibelhut | Noted Designs||Digital|
|Villa Design||Mixed Media|
Art Outside features all of our summer favorites. You'll see styles like Just A Bit Hazy IPA, Pale Ale, Raspberry Hefeweizen, Summer Lager and Classic Proper Cider. PLUS our exclusive Artist First Collaboration Can of Dortmunder!
Art Outside features festival-style food outside, as well as our full menu available inside for table service. This year we are cooking up Trashed Ribs, Just A Bit Hazy IPA Brats & Kraut, Pulled Pork Nachos, Pretzels & Cheese, and lastly, a Hummus, Pita & Veggie plate!
What pairs better with local beer and local art than local music?! Check back here closer to the festival for our lineup of all local St. Louis bands.
Friday, May 27th:
- 4:30-5:30pm: Chris Shepherd Band
- 6:00-7:30pm: So Grand Polka Band
- 8:15-9:45pm: Dave Grelle's Playadors
Saturday, May 28th:
- 11am-12:30pm: Tom Hall
- 1:00-2:30pm: Miss Jubilee and the Yas Yas Boys
- 3:00-4:30pm: One Way Traffic
- 5:00-6:30pm: Janet Evra
- 7:00-9:45pm: Gene Jackson & Power Play
Sunday, May 29th:
- 11am-12:15pm: Hip Grease
- 12:45-2:00pm: Ryan Marquez St. Unity
- 2:00-4pm: Al Holliday and The East Side Rhythm Band
We are thrilled to have Artists First hosting booths for kiddos and adults to enjoy during the festival. Check out below what they have in store for you!
- Legal Graffiti - $15 - Always wanted to try graffiti, but worry about getting in trouble? Well, worry no more! YOU can be like Banksy and make your very own stencil graffiti art! *No wall required
- Doggy Bandana $20 - Your dog has always wanted to be an artist. Don't deny them their dreams. Unlock their full creative potential with their own paw print doggy bandana.
- Squishy Imprints $20 - Pick your paint color, image and roll away to create your own print.
Nope! Art Outside is a family friendly event, so bring the kids and enjoy some art. Of course, it is 21+ to drink.
Well-behaved doggos on leashes are allowed. Please keep in mind this event takes place on our parking lot with large crowds.
Since Art Outside takes place on our main parking lot, there will not be immediate parking available. There are several public lots nearby, as well as street parking - but they will fill quickly. We encourage public transportation, cabs, Uber or biking.
Please be mindful and considerate of our neighbors when deciding where to park.
Established in 2004, Schlafly's Art Outside Festival is an alternative juried and invitational art fair in St. Louis, dedicated to showcasing local art in an approachable venue and manner. Art Outside is not an ordinary fair, but one that features quality and affordable art, music, and plenty of tasty food and drink from Schlafly Beer. Hosted at the brewery's Bottleworks location in Maplewood, Missouri, Art Outside draws approximately 15,000 visitors each year. The festival's mission is to increase public knowledge and appreciation for the local art scene by creating opportunities that connect artists, musicians and the community.
Prizes are awarded to outstanding exhibitors:
- 1st place, cash and prizes totaling $500
- 2nd place, cash and prizes totaling $250
- 3rd place, cash and prizes totaling $150
- Most Evocative of the St. Louis Region, cash and prizes totaling $100
- Brewer's Choice - Best Art to Pair with a Beer, cash and prizes totaling $100
Art Outside will present up to 67 artist booths in 2022. Art Outside seeks art that is "edgy", imaginative and outside the general realm of other mainstream art fairs. Artist applicants remain anonymous during jurying. Scoring is based on originality and creativity, design, technique, craftsmanship and professional presentation. Each juror's score is combined and averaged with the scores of the other jurors on the panel. The artists with the highest scores receive invitations to participate in Art Outside. Additionally, the five award winners from the 2021 fair will receive invitations to participate. The Art Outside Committee reserves the right to invite additional artists beyond the 2021 winners.
RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
Before applying, please make sure the work meets the following criteria. By applying, artist agrees to abide by the rules, policies and decisions of the fair.
- All exhibitors must reside within a 125 mile radius of St. Louis City.
- Artists are limited to one application per medium, with a maximum of two media per artist.
- All work must be original, handcrafted work.
- Commercial studios involved in multiples or production will not be considered for the show. No artwork from molds, kits or other commercial methods is allowed.
- If work is produced in editions, edition numbers must be disclosed to the fair audience and included in the application information.
- Artists may exhibit only in the medium in which they were juried. Work displayed must be consistent with images of work submitted to the jury.
- Artists must be present with their work for all three days of the fair. If the work is collaborative, at least one collaborator must be present. All artists must check in upon arrival.
- All work must carry a selling price and exhibitors must produce enough work to have booth open all three days of the fair.
- An accepted artist's image may be selected for use on promotional materials including, but not limited to, posters, advertising, and website.
FEES & DATES:
- November 1, 2022 - Art Outside Artist Applications Open
- January 31, 2023 - Final date to submit Application, Images & Jury Fee ($30)
- March 1, 2023 - Artist Notifications sent out (all applicants will be notified)
- April 1, 2023 - Booth Fee Due ($150)