Schlafly Art Outside Festival
Like beer, art brings people together. That’s why we established Schlafly’s Art Outside Festival back in 2004. Hosted at the Bottleworks location in Maplewood, we aim to raise awareness and appreciation of art and music created in our very own community.
Each year, we feature over 60 artists you’ve never heard of and deliver a family-friendly experience you won’t find anywhere else. Featuring artists who specialize in photography, woodwork, mixed media, jewelry and so much more - get to know art without pretense.
Schlafly Bottleworks - Maplewood
Art Outside is held yearly Memorial Day Weekend. See below for 2022 dates and times!
Friday, May 27, 2022: 4pm-9pm
Saturday, May 28, 2022: 11am-9pm
Sunday, May 29, 2022: 11am-4pm
We are proud to host 60+ local artists, all residing & working within 125-mile radius of Schlafly Bottleworks.
Our 2021 artists included:
- A & M Accessories
- A Year in the City
- Allison L Norfleet Bruenger
- Anthony Borchardt
- Ascendant Jewelry
- Beqi Clothing
- Bill Schnur
- Bohemian Babies
- Charles T Dana
- Christiane Danna
- Christopher Lynch
- david patton
- Dennis McCarthy
- Dennis Minner
- Erin Alice Gray
- Flair City Supply Co
- Gary Halsey
- Golden Gems
- Gold Tie Dye
- JB Design & Illustration by Joseph Bodus
- Jeane Vogel
- Jimmy Liu
- JK Furniture Designs
- Joel Epstein
- Jon Biscan
- Josh Seubert
- Kevin Lin
- Key Rose Customs
- KneeHigh Prints
- Leia zumbro
- Leigh Roberts
- Lisa Crisman/Left Ear Art
- Liz Davidson mostlyfibers
- Locus Photoart
- Matthew Hemminghaus
- Melissa Villadiego
- Michael Plurad-Illustrator and Designer
- Michelle Rocco
- New Spin on Tradition: Handmade Pottery
- Paper Loft Creations
- Pat O'Brien
- Riley Construction Toys
- Rob Gilmore
- Sadly Harmless
- Sara Patino Jewelry
- Sarah Zickler Fine Art
- Sherry Day
- Sprouted Designs
- Stellar Batik
- Stephanie Gobby Illustration
- Terri Myer
- Terry "Buddy" Shaw
- Tim & Pam Frye
- Uncertain Angle
- West Park Creative
- Willey Pottery
- William McKenney
- Zak Pottery
Nope! Art Outside is a free and family friendly event. Simply purchase whatever beer, food and art you'd like.
Art Outside features all of our summer favorites. Expect to see styles like IPA, Pale Ale, Raspberry Hefeweizen, Summer Lager and more. Stay tuned for official beer list!
Art Outside features festival-style food outside, as well as our full menu available inside for table service. Stay tuned for our official festival food menu!
Art Outside will be cashless at all Schlafly bars and food tents, and only credit cards will be accepted. Please check with Artists individually to see what form of payment they accept.
What pairs better with local beer and local art than local music?! Check back here closer to the festival for our lineup of all local St. Louis bands.
Friday, May 27th:
- 4:30-6pm: TBD
- 6:30-8pm: TBD
- 8:30-10pm: TBD
Saturday, May 28th:
- 11am-Noon: TBD
- 12:30-2pm: TBD
- 2:30-4pm: TBD
- 4:30-6pm: TBD
- 6:30-8pm: TBD
- 8:30-10pm: TBD
Sunday, May 29th:
- 11am-Noon: TBD
- 12:30-1:30pm: TBD
- 2-4pm: TBD
We are thrilled to have Artists First hosting booths for kiddos to enjoy during the festival. Check out below what they have in store for you!
- Full Legal Graffiti - $10
- Always wanted to try graffiti, but worry about getting in trouble? Well, worry no more! YOU can be like Banksy and make your very own stencil graffiti art! *No wall required
- Painting with your Dog (Kids) - $20
- Your dog has always wanted to be an artist. Don't deny them their dreams. Unlock their full creative potential with a canvas painting. No dog? Kids can do this one with their paws too.
- Birch Tree Forest - $20
- Paint a beautiful forest of colorful trees in this failure-free activity. Perfect for hanging above your desk and getting lost in during boring Zoom classes. No skills necessary, we promise.
- Spinny Spin Art - $10
- A classic kid favorite. Use our high-tech "Spin Box," our paint, and your creative vision. Mask a mess here but only take home the art!
Nope! Art Outside is a family friendly event, so bring the kids and enjoy some art. Of course, it is 21+ to drink.
Well-behaved doggos on leashes are allowed. Please keep in mind this event takes place on our parking lot with large crowds.
Since Art Outside takes place on our main parking lot, there will not be immediate parking available. There are several public lots nearby, as well as street parking - but they will fill quickly. We encourage public transportation, cabs, Uber or biking.
Please be mindful and considerate of our neighbors when deciding where to park.
The safety of our customers, vendors and employees is top priority. Therefore, we are putting the below practices in place and ask our attendees follow the below guidelines.
- Art Outside will be cashless at all Schlafly bars and food tents, and only credit cards will be accepted. Please check with Artists individually to see what form of payment they accept.
- All employees will be required to wear masks while working the event.
- Any unvaccinated guests are asked to wear a mask while not actively eating or drinking.
- Vaccinated guests are encouraged to wear masks while not actively eating or drinking.
- We ask that you please wear a mask while ordering from any of our bars or food tents.
Most importantly, to keep our events as safe as possible, we highly encourage all guests and employees to be vaccinated before attending this event. If you anyone is feeling ill, or showing any signs of COVID-19, we kindly ask that you refrain from attending our events.
Please check back here for more information and updates regarding any safety requirements put in place by St. Louis City, County or the CDC for our 2021 event.
Established in 2004, Schlafly's Art Outside Festival is an alternative juried and invitational art fair in St. Louis, dedicated to showcasing local art in an approachable venue and manner. Art Outside is not an ordinary fair, but one that features quality and affordable art, music, and plenty of tasty food and drink from Schlafly Beer. Hosted at the brewery's Bottleworks location in Maplewood, Missouri, Art Outside draws approximately 15,000 visitors each year. The festival's mission is to increase public knowledge and appreciation for the local art scene by creating opportunities that connect artists, musicians and the community.
Prizes are awarded to outstanding exhibitors:
- 1st place, cash and prizes totaling $1,000
- 2nd place, cash and prizes totaling $600
- 3rd place, cash and prizes totaling $350
- Most Evocative of the St. Louis Region, cash and prizes totaling $200
- Brewer's Choice - Best Art to Pair with a Beer, cash and prizes totaling $200
Art Outside will present up to 67 artist booths in 2022. Art Outside seeks art that is "edgy", imaginative and outside the general realm of other mainstream art fairs. Artist applicants remain anonymous during jurying. Scoring is based on originality and creativity, design, technique, craftsmanship and professional presentation. Each juror's score is combined and averaged with the scores of the other jurors on the panel. The artists with the highest scores receive invitations to participate in Art Outside. Additionally, the five award winners from the 2021 fair will receive invitations to participate. The Art Outside Committee reserves the right to invite additional artists beyond the 2021 winners.
RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
Before applying, please make sure the work meets the following criteria. By applying, artist agrees to abide by the rules, policies and decisions of the fair.
- All exhibitors must reside within a 125 mile radius of St. Louis City.
- Artists are limited to one application per medium, with a maximum of two media per artist.
- All work must be original, handcrafted work.
- Commercial studios involved in multiples or production will not be considered for the show. No artwork from molds, kits or other commercial methods is allowed.
- If work is produced in editions, edition numbers must be disclosed to the fair audience and included in the application information.
- Artists may exhibit only in the medium in which they were juried. Work displayed must be consistent with images of work submitted to the jury.
- Artists must be present with their work for all three days of the fair. If the work is collaborative, at least one collaborator must be present. All artists must check in upon arrival.
- All work must carry a selling price and exhibitors must produce enough work to have booth open all three days of the fair.
- An accepted artist's image may be selected for use on promotional materials including, but not limited to, posters, advertising, and website.
FEES & DATES:
- November 1, 2021 - Art Outside Artist Applications Open
- January 31, 2022 - Final date to submit Application, Images & Jury Fee ($30)
- March 1, 2022 - Artist Notifications sent out (all applicants will be notified)
- April 1, 2022 - Booth Fee Due ($150)